NSBE ALUMNI EXTENSION
Since 1975, the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) has become one of the largest student-run organizations in the world. The formation of the National Society of Black Engineers-Alumni Extension (NSBE-AE) dates back to 1980, when NSBE alumni presented a proposal to the NSBE student membership to include an alumni sector in the organization. Although the Alumni Extension (AE) was not accepted at that time, the effort initiated a multi-year process to create NSBE-AE.
The addition of the Alumni Extension to the overall NSBE structure not only promotes participation and input from the professional engineering community, but also provides a mechanism for NSBE graduating seniors to continue their involvement with the organization.
The purpose of the Alumni Extension is to support NSBE in a way that:
- Develops and enhances NSBE programs.
- Increases technical awareness.
- Encourages scholastic achievement, and
- Stimulates enthusiasm in the Black engineering community in order to promote technical expertise, professionalism, and fellowship among Black engineers.
NSBE MEMBERSHIP TYPES
There are two types of memberships available in the NSBE-GSC:
- Professional Membership - Professional membership is open to all professionals who hold a degree in engineering, computer science, math and the applied sciences. Graduate students have the option to join NSBE as either a collegiate or an Alumni (technical professional) member. All others are invited to become affiliate members.
- Affiliate Membership - All others who do not meet the above requirements are invited to become affiliate members.
NSBE NATIONAL & GSC DUES
Alumni Extension/Technical Professional National dues are $50 annually. *Your AE membership is free the first year after college graduation.
Greenbelt Space Chapter dues are $30.00 annually.
To join/renew NSBE National
membership online, go to the NSBE National website
and click on JOIN/RENEW
. To join/renew GSC membership
via PayPal, click
*NOTE: You should join/renew the National NSBE membership BEFORE you join/renew the GSC membership!
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS - Alumni/Technical Professional
- Leadership Development and Training including Panel Discussions with Top Leadership from Fortune 500 Companies
- Professional Development via a multitude of workshops, seminars, and networking opportunities at Conferences and local Chapter Functions
- KAPLAN test preparation workshops available at conferences. Discounted Kaplan Test Prep services and materials. You can also receive a chance to win a free test prep class offered by Kaplan.
- Receive a subscription to NSBE Magazine. Each issue offers the latest industry news and articles tailored to individual areas of engineering. (a $20 value) Includes the Career Engineer, a special section of the magazine that highlights our Technical Professionals
- Discount Registrations for conferences and events including the National Convention/Technical Professionals Conference held annually in March
- Post your resume free of charge to top engineering companies in NSBE’s Job Placement Center (JPC) (need link). Search for full-time job opportunities.
- Access to Fortune 500 Companies during the Career Fair and Networking Suites annually at the Annual Convention/Technical Professional Conference
- First year Alumni membership dues are waived for NSBE Collegiate members upon Graduation with an Undergraduate degree within the first year of degree completion. (a $50 value)
- Access to scholarships/fellowships
- Mentoring and Community Outreach opportunities
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) which address specific areas of Engineer, i.e. Biomedical Engineering, Environmental Engineer, etc…